County fire crews were busy over the weekend combating three wildfires in Riley County and a home north of Manhattan was reportedly lost.
County officials indicated Monday the home was owned by Greg Wells. No injuries were reported and the home was cleared before it was overtaken by flames.
Riley County High School tweeted this morning that it will hold a Benefit Soup Supper for Wells after parent-teacher conferences on March 15.
Please come support Greg Wells next Thursday, March 15th during Parent Teacher Conferences! Greg lost his house to a fire and there will be a Benefit Soup Supper for him that night at the High School from 6:00 to 8:00 pm! #RCR
— RCHS Falcons (@RileyCounty_HS) March 5, 2018
Riley County Assistant Fire Chief Doug Schmitt told KMAN Monday morning the fires burned over 1,100 acres and that two of the fires were caused by as little as a spark from a brush hog blade and a thrown cigarette.
Another fire in the southeast part of the county was caused by residents shooting at Tannerite, which is the brand name of a patented exploding target used for firearms practice.
“This year we’re seeing a later spring coming in, so we haven’t got any moisture yet, so we’re really in a tinderbox situation here, and that what makes it really scary,” Schmitt said.
Low humidity and high winds continue to be in the forecast this week.
Very serious fire danger in KS! Remember, never drive into smoke on the highway, you don’t know what you can’t see, you could drive right into a collision or emergency workers. Pull over, call 911, wait for instructions or take a different route. https://t.co/Eak98y4sNG
— NE Kansas KDOT (@NEKansasKDOT) March 5, 2018
The post Wildfires engulf home over the weekend as dangerous conditions continue appeared first on News Radio KMAN.