A structure fire caused by remnants of the fourth of July festivities took place Wednesday.

According to Riley County Fire District Number 1, responders were dispatched to 12261 Walnut Creek in northern Riley County around midnight Wednesday morning for report of a structure fire at the home of Wazir and Neomi Mohammed.

Upon arrival, crews discovered a garage fully engulfed in flames, extending into the attic of the home. After an aggressive attack by 24 firefighters, the blaze was fully extinguished. Crews remained on scene for several hours to monitor conditions and mop up the burned area.

Leftover fireworks stored in a trash receptacle inside the garage reportedly started the fire. All four occupants and one cat were safely removed from the home, sustaining no reported injuries.

The damage to the structure, along with two vehicles, tools, and pieces of equipment, was extensive. The total estimated loss was not available at the time of the Wednesday afternoon release.

Deputy Fire Cheif Doug Russell notes in their release that “unfortunately fireworks and firework debris continue to be dangerous even after being used. The best advice is to let the debris cool completely, wet the materials with water and store outdoors in a metal contained with a lid.”