Photo courtesy Manhattan Fire Department

The Manhattan Fire Department says a house fire started accidentally Wednesday morning due to an issue with the home’s fireplace.

Shortly before 9 a.m. firefighters were dispatched to 2905 Hickory Court, in southwest Manhattan for report of a house fire possibly extinguished by the home’s occupants. Upon arrival, crews found light smoke coming from inside the single-story home. A fire was located beneath the fireplace in the ceiling cavity between the main floor and basement. It was contained within about 15 minutes.

Occupants reported their cat was scratching at a closet door and that’s when the fire was discovered about the ceiling of the closet. No injuries were reported.

Loss is estimated at $15,000 to the structure and about $2,500 to the home’s contents.

The post Accidental house fire reported in southwest Manhattan appeared first on News Radio KMAN.